Saturday, November 28, 2009

what's true of oceans is of course true of labyrinths and poems


Any Fool Can Get Into The Ocean
Jack Spicer

Any fool can get into an ocean
But it takes a Goddess
To get out of one.
What's true of oceans is true, of course,
Of labyrinths and poems. When you start swimming
Through riptide of rhythms and the metaphor's seaweed
You need to be a good swimmer or a born Goddess
To get back out of them
Look at the sea otters bobbing wildly
Out in the middle of the poem
They look so eager and peaceful playing out there where the
water hardly moves
You might get out through all the waves and rocks
Into the middle of the poem to touch them
But when you've tried the blessed water long
Enough to want to start backward
That's when the fun starts
Unless you're a poet or an otter or something supernatural
You'll drown, dear. You'll drown
Any Greek can get you into a labyrinth
But it takes a hero to get out of one
What's true of labyrinths is true of course
Of love and memory. When you start remembering.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

buhhhh.....oh Athenos...gloriosos...things that are magic and sound greek. all of these i hold in my arms like golden light over a blue seas. geez we need to watch Sisterhood Pants Times again...

Linnea said...

what a truly magical Greek village and is that you swimming along in the glistening sea? oh, I think I just saw you turn a somersault.

the poem is truly delightful; and manda is right:
you're a hero, otter and a Goddess!

Brooke said...

oh it is me turning a somersault, indeed. and then we all go out on a little rudder boat and dive deep into the blue....

Unknown said...

Mmmmmm - I like this poem! I don't think I've read any Jack Spicer before. I might need to hunt for more!