Ode to a Book - Pablo Neruda
When I close a book
I open life.
No book has been able
to wrap me in paper,
to fill me up
with typography,
with heavenly imprints
or was ever able
to bind my eyes,
I come out of books to people
orchards
with the hoarse family of my song,
to work the burning metals
or to eat smoked beef
by mountain firesides.
I love adventurous
books,
books of forest or snow,
depth or sky...
Book, let me go.
I won’t go clothed
in volumes,
I don’t come out
of collected works, my poems
have not eaten poems–
they devour
exciting happenings,
feed on rough weather,
and dig their food
out of earth and men.
I’m on my way
with dust in my shoes free of mythology:
I’m going down into the streets.
I learned about life
from life itself,
love I learned in a single kiss and could teach no one anything
except
that I have lived
with something in common among men,
when fighting with them,
when saying all their say in my song.
2 comments:
oh your words of glory here make me think of Golden Compass. we should be with that red haired wonder-full fierce girl and run with polar bears under Northern lights...
and by run with, i mean lay on the back of a polar bear while he carries me. :)
entering into this poem is like venturing off on a wonderful journey.
revelations from poems, words, books coming as heavenly imprints.... hmmmm I'm going to be mulling that rich picture over in my mind today
Post a Comment