Monday, October 19, 2009

fall into glory...a walk, a romp, a venture

O world I cannot hold thee close enough!
Your winds, your wide grey skies!
Your mists that roll and rise!
Your woods, this autumn day, that ache and say
and all but cry with colour! That giant crag
to crush! To lift the lean of that black bluff!
World, world, I cannot get thee close enough.

Long have I known a glory in it all
But never I knew this,
Here such a passion is
As stretches me apart. Lord, I do fear
Thou'st made the world too beautiful this year.
My soul is all but out of me - let fall
No burning leaf, prithee let no bird call.

Edna St. Vincent Millay







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh hurrah for these glowing fall beauties you've captured on your romps. I like how our friend Gerard Manley Hopkins titles his poem,hurrahing the harvest! and this line:
I walk, I lift up, I lift up heart, eyes,
Down all that glory in the heavens to glean our Saviour;

Anonymous said...

my heart resonates with this simply brilliant poem. the beauty and yearning in it match up with the glowing red and golden trees.
also lovely is the pinky-red rose- wowsers